Fireworks: Stay Safe (update 2018)

Changes for the Use of Fireworks for 2018

The Township would like to remind the residents that with the passage by the State the use of some consumer fireworks is now permitted, but it is not without regulations. We encourage all intending to use fireworks during this holiday time to review the most noteworthy changes below. If you witness any violations to these regulations please contact the Police Department.


Q: Which fireworks are Pennsylvania residents now allowed to purchase and use?

Consumers can now purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman Candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material. The expansion includes those fireworks that were previously only available to out-of-state residents.

“Display fireworks,” which are classified as including salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place.  (Commercial firework information can be seen in the current York Township Ordinance by clicking here.)


Q: Who can purchase fireworks?

  • Anyone 18 years of age or older can purchase them.


Q: What are the restrictions on where they can be used?

  • Fireworks can only be discharged between the hours of 5:00pm and 10:30pm
  • A person shall not discharge Consumer Fireworks from any property for more than: (1) one hour, measured on a cumulative basis, in any given twenty-four hour period; and (2) three hours, measured on a cumulative basis, in any given ten-day period.
  • They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner.
  • They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building.
  • They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building.
  • They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
  • They cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.


Q: Where can the fireworks be purchased?

  • They can be purchased at any licensed facility, including temporary ones. The licenses are issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. Examples of temporary facilities include tents or other structures found in parking lots. These temporary structures can sell fireworks between the dates of June 15-July 8, and December 21-January 2 each year.

Click here for more information on Department of Agriculture licensing.


  • The complete version of the new state law can be viewed here.
  • The complete version of the new township ordinance can be viewed here.

More Links:

More information can be found by searching “fireworks” on either the PA Department of Agriculture website at


The Pennsylvania State Police website at